Let the wood dry.
I used a nail gun and glue to apply the trim just on 3 sides (not on the back as the wood was not wide enough. If you wood is wide enough then go ahead and put trim on the back. I sanded the trim before attaching.
Fill nail holes with wood filler, wipe and let dry
Apply the stain that you like. I used a Golden Oak. Apply in the direction of the grain. I use a lint free towel to apply and a lint free towel to remove excess. Go in the direction of the grain.
Let it dry for 24 hours.
I then applied my polyurethane (use a good brush so that it doesn't leave stroke marks)
I applied one coat.
Let it dry.
Sand with a 200 grit.
Use a lightly damp cloth and wipe off dust.
Let dry 30 minutes
Apply a second coat of Polyurethane.
Apply a 3rd coat and repeat above.
Total cost was about $30 and that includes the wood piece used (originally $44 for the entire sheet), polyurethane, stain used, sandpaper, spray paint (I used 4 cans, 3 white and 1 red), steel wool. I did see some of these cabinets at a garage sell for $4 each and over at the thrift store for $5 each. You could also use a pine plywood sheet to reduce the cost. The most expensive was the spray paint and I could have gotten it cheaper with coupons or at a big box store.
I hope that description was not too confusing! If you have any questions, please email me or leave a comment. I also have a YouTube channel where I feature many of my recipes and Challenges and soon some of my DIY's. If you would like to check it out, click on this link: Bristlee One
Thank you for stopping by and remember, enjoy life.
It's the one you have,