What I did do though was spend a week scraping off the old glue. My house was built back in the mid 1970's and the carpet, every square inch of it, had been glued on. Oh my gosh, it was the ugliest carpet you had ever seen. Don't believe me? Just see the first picture below. It had been in the house so long that it was shedding the fiber from underneath. There was also an ugly carpet on top of the glued down one. Why did I scrape off the old glue? I really didn't want to use acid in the house. My son and I have to live in the house. The problem with using acid are the fumes and the fume retention. I've used acid on a floor and it can take a few days before the smell really goes away. You really should leave it opened up for a few days and since we have had two attempted break-ins, no thanks. To get the glue off, I used boiling water in about 2 foot sections. I poured the water on, let it sit for 5-10 minutes and then used a scraper. It does take some elbow grease to get it off though. It took longer to get the hideousness that was the carpet up then it took to get all the glue off, which is actually a good thing. The rooms over all dimensions are 33' x 17', it's an odd room.
Now was the time to paint. I used a white cement sealer for the first 3 coats. The sealer was to stop any mold and mildew and hopefully from stuff soaking into the cement. I let it dry at least 4 hours between coats.
Now for the design. I did not want to paint patterns or use stencils, I'm basically lazy. I wanted something that would pop but I could put down fast. I had quite a bit of left over paint from the bar area (some how I had ended up with two gallons of it) and I thought that I would use that. This is where I made my mistake. That is a latex paint and meant for walls, not to be walked on. Not thinking about it, I grabbed a large spackle tool and my paint. I then poured in an arc the white paint cement sealer and then much less of my tannish paint.
I can say that we have been walking on it for six months now and no problems. It cleans really easy and no scuff marks. On the bottom of all the furniture I have placed the soft pads so that it doesn't scratch the floor. The room is so light now. It is still is not done. I am about to build the book cases and the TV stand for the room, I also want to put in crown moulding. Once those are done, I will post the finished product! Oh and yes, the baseboards are in. I still haven't decided what to do with the double doors (you can see in the top photo the doors are still unfinished). One idea is to take the doors out and build a swinging book case. The doors lead into my living room. I really like the "hidden" door idea but will have to wait a bit to buy the hinges which are kind of pricey.
I hope that description was not too confusing! If you have any questions, please email me or leave a comment.
Thank you for stopping by and remember, enjoy life.
It's the one you have,